Moving to a big bed….
When is the right time to do it?
Well, keeping your child in their cot close to 3 years old is a wise decision and it spares many sleep disturbances in the future. I know that is not what you wanted to hear. So,
Unless they are actively jumping out of the cot of course, just let them happily enjoy their cot for longer.
Here are a few BLB Tips to make it a smooth transition:
*Don’t rush it:
Most children under the age of 2.5-3 years old don’t have enough impulse control or understanding of boundaries and they are not emotionally ready to move into a big bed.
Moving to a big bed too early will set you up for problems such as your child repeatedly coming out of the bedroom at bedtime and during the night. Older toddlers have a better understanding and will respond to limit setting and positive rewards as an incentive to stay in bed as long as parents are consistent.
Don’t move to a big bed while your toddler is dealing with other big life events:
• The arrival of a newborn baby
• Moving to a new house is another big event.
• Try not to nighttime toilet train at the same time as moving to a big bed. Too many changes at once.
Safeguard the bedroom and bed before the move:
Once your child is sleeping in a big bed, they are free to roam around even while you are asleep without the confines of a cot.
• Ensure there is nothing unsafe for your child to climb on.
• Attach furniture or heavy objects to the wall so it can’t topple over.
• Use covers for power plugs.
• Inspect the bedroom and remove anything that could be a hazard.
Involve your child in the big move. We want our children to feel excited and confident about their big move.